Behind The Look: Cut Crease

Monday, December 05, 2016



Social media crazes have been a huge thing throughout 2016; from the mannequin challenge to bottle flipping, social media has the power to influence everything. Especially in the beauty community. Depending on who you follow- well not really, as long as you follow 'common white girl' or 'Dory' on Twitter you'll have seen many of the makeup looks that took to 2016. I don't think I've ever seen so much glitter in my life, not that I'm complaining. Galaxy looks, glitter beards and melting faces are just a few of the looks circling twitter. 
What love the most about this, is that people's talents combined with social media has allowed them to have so many opportunities. Working with brands, even getting on TV shows such as Ellen. 
A couple of my favourite makeup artists from twitter are; @SkyeAsiyanbi a self-taught makeup enthusiast who's looks are completely out of this world and breath taking. Her Snapchat tutorials could be for the most simple everyday makeup look and yet I'm so intrigued.
@JenessaAnnRosee also creates beautifully stunning looks, one of my favourites being "Pink isn't just a colour... It's an attitude" - I'm obsessed! 
@Eric_espana is a male body posi MUA who's looks are to die for! I've been following him for around a year now and his looks never fail to amaze me. 
@DaisyMarquez_ highlight has me shook. Every look and YouTube video leaves me wanting more, wanting to do my own looks! Her makeup is stunning! 
@alxcext is someone I recently came across and wow. I'm lost for words. Her eyelashes first off, I'm extremely jealous. Her makeup overall is gorgeous, the glitter looks in particular are my favourite! 
There are sooo many more people on Twitter who's talent leaves me speechless. I definitely recommend looking at all of the people I mentioned above, as they're pretty involved in the beauty community and you'll get lost in all the beautiful looks. 
The no end of talented people creating these looks inspires me to do even better with my blog and explore makeup even more. So I decided, I'd attempt to do a look that has been one of the biggest over the last year on social media. 
A cut crease. 
For so long, I was nervous to try this because I knew it would go terribly wrong. Then I thought, if it goes wrong, it goes wrong, nothing bad will happen, I'll just learn over time. But enough of the deep stuff, let's get into how I created my first cut crease. 

I used my Morphe 35O palette for the whole of this look. I'll put a number on each of the colours I used and write in each step which colour was used, when and how! I also used a some of my BH Cosmetics brushes and some I ordered from Amazon!




 1. To start with, I concealed my whole eye lid and put translucent powder over it. This is so that I have an even, light base as my eye lids are obviously tanned and this can interfere with the colours used and the outcome.
2. Using the rounded white brush, I went in with shade 1, blending it through my crease and just above. This will be the transition colour that makes the outside of the eye shadow more of a gentle blend. Once this shade is on, I used the 101 BH Cosmetics blending brush to blend it out. 
 3. Then, with the slightly angled white brush I used shade 2 in the crease and only slightly above it, but lower than the transition shade. Using shades that gradually get darker allows for a more blended, gradient look rather than it being very harsh.
4. I then went into my crease with shade 3 using the same brush. This lets the 3 colours so far blend well together as a lighter base. Again, using the BH 101 blending brush, I blended the 3 colours together so that there weren't any harsh lines.
5. At this point, the colours start to get a lot darker - using shade 4 which is a beautiful red colour, I went into my crease with the other angled brush and blended that along. As this shade is considerably darker, it's important that it's blended throughout the crease and just above.
6. Then, using the 103 brush, I took a bit of shade 5 and 6 and put them directly on the crease. I did this gradually so that if it was to harsh I could blend it out a bit and add more as I went along. I blended this out with the flat top white brush as I didn't want to mix light and dark colours on all the brushes.
7. Once I was satisfied with the colours along and above my crease, ensuring they're blended well together and show a gradient of gradual colours - I went in with the concealer along my lid. I put the product predominantly on my lower lid and slowly worked it up to the crease using a BH 102 concealer brush (that I forgot to put in the photo lol). I used the 105 brush for the concealer along the crease as this is a smaller brush and I didn't want to get concealer into the eye shadow.
8. Using the lightest white shade in the palette, I set the concealer. Then went in with shade 2 along my lid, as well as a small amount of shade 7 on the outer corner. This added a bit of definition, rather than being all white. Believe it or not, I blended this as well haha.
9. I then went back in and blended out the edges, added inner corner and under brow highlight for more glow (because who can resist that glow). I also did winged liner, attempting to follow the line of the cut crease, adding Maybelline The Push Up Falsies mascara to finish the look!
And this, was the finished look..





I'm aware, there's room for so much improvement but for my first time attempting a cut crease, I'm very happy with the results and hope this helps other people in some way or another!
Let me know in the comments below some of your favourite MUAs and any looks you'd like to see me try (emphasis on the try) to create haha!
Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed this post!
Phoebe
X

(I used a Canon EOS M to take these photos)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Follow