Fenty Beauty | Foundation Review

Monday, January 29, 2018




For the past 4 months I’ve been living in Manchester and started my venture into university life. It took some time but I’m finally settling in, working, making new friends and doing the oh so exciting assignments that university graces you with.
On transferring with work to Manchester, I happily discovered that I work right next to Harvey Nichols. Now, if you have any form of social media you may know that Rihanna released her first makeup line – Fenty Beauty. Catering towards, every skin shade you could think of, with 40 shades of foundation, out of this world highlights, more matchstix than you can imagine and a bombshell lip gloss. Rihanna has completely won over the makeup industry with the diversity her makeup displays and offers all kinds of people.
For weeks, I’d go into Harvey Nics, have a nosey and stop myself from getting coloured matched and buying the Pro Filt’r foundation. Always telling myself I had 2 foundations I should use before buying it, not enough money, blah blah blah. But the other day I couldn’t help myself and ordered the foundation as soon as my shade was back in stock – to say I was excited was an understatement.
Along with such a diverse line of foundations, comes having to find your shade. I thought I was 300, but after getting colour matched, discovered I was 290 – doesn’t sound like much of a difference but when it comes to the undertones and finally finish on my skin, it was really good that I got colour matched. So I recommend if you can, get colour matched!
Now, onto the actual review…
When applying the foundation I did my usual skin prep, cleansed my face then moisturised and primed. I applied the foundation as usual – pumped some onto the back of my hand, dotted it onto an area of my face and then blended it in with a damp beauty blender.
I found that when applying the product, I had to use quite a lot. Now fair do's, I have a big head and chubby cheeks so what’s new, but even after I’d applied one layer, the coverage wasn’t great and I had to build it quite a bit. I’d say I used at least 2 layers of the foundation, when usually I can just use one with my Estee Lauder Double Wear.
Coverage wise, the foundation medium – it covered up blemishes on my face but in terms of my darker acne scars, they were still pretty visible underneath the foundation. I don’t conceal over my scars as foundation normally does the trick and I didn’t want to end up looking cakey.
I also found that the foundation dried really quickly, which wasn’t a massive issue when applying it as I do gradual areas of my face rather than putting the foundation all over and then blending it in.
After applying the foundation, I concealed my under eyes and chin and then baked under my eyes and chin and powdered the rest of my face.




Now, I have to say, this foundation is INSANE for it’s shades. The shade of foundation is my exact skin tone. I usually mix foundations for a warmer look, but this foundation is my exact skin tone. There isn’t anything negative to say about it, other than the fact that it looks quite grey when applying it, but it oxidises afterwards and dried differently on the skin – but still, it’s my skin tone.
I then did the rest of my makeup routine; bronzer, contour, highlight, mascara etc. Finishing up with my Mac Fix+ Setting Spray.





The foundation honestly doesn't look too bad when I'd just applied it. It did look nice and was quite photogenic (a part from being able to see my acne scars). If it wasn't for how it wore after a few hours, my review would be completely different. 
I ended up wearing the foundation for about 6 hours during the night when going out for food and out with some friends. Nothing of high activity to get me sweaty or anything, just an average night.
These are the photos of my makeup when I got back that same night…





Let’s be 110% honest – it looks a bit shit. I’m extremely oily and so the priming and setting is really important in my routine, which I did exactly the same this time as I do with my Double Wear foundation. The makeup came off around my nose and my mouth area and my smile lines were visible (honestly though, the smile lines usually come through cause ya girls just tryna stay happy and spread positive vibes).
The foundation looks so oily as well. I normally expect a bit of shine to be there but with this, the foundation literally just did nothing at all. It started going patchy and oily all over, I couldn’t touch my face without having foundation all over my hands.
After trying the foundation for the first time and having mixed thoughts, I decided to carry on trying it because I really really really wanted it to work out. I’m just tryna support Rih Rih and give her my coin because she did so well with the makeup line. The foundation also seemed to be working for everyone else and I hardly saw any bad reviews on it.
Unfortunately, for my skin it just didn’t work out. Every time I tried to use it, I get the same results – it doesn’t look nice on my skin, it doesn’t feel good and I end up looking like someone’s dipped my head into a fryer, I’m that oily. I even tried mixing the foundation with my Estee Lauder Double Wear just to see how it went, but it was still bad and didn’t work at all.
I delayed this blog post because I didn’t want to base it off of one time of trying the foundation, I tested it when my skin was good and bad and it just still didn’t work. So this foundation is a no go for me – however, I’ve watched sooo many videos of people using it and it looks incredible on them so I can’t shoot it down entirely, it just unfortunately doesn’t work out for me!
Anyway, let me know your thoughts on the foundation if you’ve used it or any solutions to oily skin and foundation!
Thanks for reading!
Phoebe
X


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Follow