A Subtle Smoky Eye | Revolution Makeup + MUA

Sunday, February 14, 2016




So, this blog post is pretty (I think) different to most of my old posts. I've never really done a makeup tutorial post merely due to the fact that I hardly know a thing about makeup. I'm quite into makeup, I love how makeup makes me feel and look - I mean don't get wrong, I love not wearing makeup at the same time. I love a bit of both haha. 
Lately, after reading more and more blog posts and watching more beauty gurus on YouTube, I've wanted to treat myself a little and buy myself some makeup. I haven't been buying £30 eyeshadow palettes and £50 foundations, just a few bits here and there from drug stores. Which I think is great, I mean expensive makeup is gorgeous too but for someone who doesn't have the money to buy it and might not even be too invested in it in the near future - the drug store makeup is my best friend haha. 
So, that is why, after messing around with my new Revolution Eye Shadow Palette I thought I'd try out a smokey eye look. In the past if I've ever been going somewhere and wanted to do a smokey eye look, I've always felt like I look like I've been punched in the eye - which definitely wasn't the look I was going for. 
This look is very subtle yet smokey at the same time. It's not too natural and has a lil shimmer to it, but it isn't something overly dramatic which I love. 
So, read on if you want to find out how I achieved this Subtle, Smokey Eye! 

Products Used:
NYC eye primer - (I used the primer within a small NYC palette I have that's similar to this one. It's pretty old so I can't remember how much it is in pounds)

Before I start, bare in mind that I did this look LITERALLY 20 minutes before I had to leave for work - I had to snap some quick pics and then leave. Also my eyebrows and face are pretty much naked in the photos lol. 

1. First, I applied the NYC eye primer all on my eye lid and a little higher. I'm not sure if this is a great eye liner because like I said, I only actually had it on for about 40 minutes and didn't wear it for a whole day - but even so, it's not too thick and feels like it does a great job!
2. I then took the MUA "Undress Me Too" Eyeshadow palette and applied the shade "Lavish" all over the eyelid. This is a brown/grey shade which isn't too dark and allows you to give the outer corner and crease the smoke effect. 
3. Now, using the "Romantic Smoked" Revolution palette, I take the brown shimmery shade and apply that the crease - blending it slightly to the outer corner and along the whole crease. Make sure to blend it a lot so it's not too sharp. The shimmer in the brown gives a nice effect as although it's a smokey eye, it has a little something about it (I really hope that makes sense haha).
4. To give your eye a more smokey look, take a tiny amount of black and place it on the outer corner/crease. I then take a different brush and blend it out, this gives a light, smokey appearance to the eye that once again isn't too strong. Depending on how much black you use, it could be a lot smokier or more subtle. 
5. Then, go back to the inner corner/middle of the eyelid with the shade "Exposed" from the MUA palette. All this does is add a little more shimmer and gets rid of any brown or black that may have got onto the lid. I find that with the MUA palette you sometimes have to build the product up as some of the colours don't have the strongest pigment - but either way, it adds a gorgeous shimmer to your eye! 
6. Next, I took the shade "Wink" from the MUA palette and went along just below my bottom lash line. I then blended it out - I feel like this adds to the whole smokey eye look but because it is a brown shimmer, it's not too strong and bold. 
7. When the eyeshadow was done, I went on to use my Collection Liquid Liner and did a kinda thin wing. I say kinda thin because it isn't exactly thick but it's not majorly thin, it's in the middle. (This is the first winged eyeliner I've done for about a year, so once again bare with me hahaha). 
8. After that, I took my Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara and applied it to my top and bottom lashes. This mascara is amazing, I already have quite thick long lashes but this just makes them look insane - I love it! 

And that is my Subtle Smokey Eye look! I really really hope you enjoyed this makeup tutorial kinda post. Once again I am in no way a beauty guru, I probably don't apply my eyeshadow "properly" or blend "well enough" but I actually really like this look to say I barely do makeup which is why I thought I'd share it with you all. A way to kick start the makeup side of this blog!
Let me know in the comments below or tweet me your favourite eye looks or your favourite products to use!
Thanks for reading! 
Phoebe 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Follow