NYX Total Control Drop Foundation | First Impression

Sunday, August 20, 2017



A few weeks ago, I decided it was time to venture away from my little Estee Lauder Double Wear bubble, and purchase a new foundation. In other words, I didn’t fancy spending £30 on foundation again. Not only that, but for the longest time I’ve wanted to find a decent drug store foundation for under £15-£20. So as you do, I took to YouTube and watched a million and one videos to try and find the perfect foundation.
In all honesty, I didn’t see a ton of videos on this specific NYX foundation, but was particularly drawn to it when I went into Boots and saw the huge shade selection. Usually with foundation for my skin tone, they’re either too orange or too pink. After swatching a few different shades, I finally found the shade 'Classic Tan' which blended in with the skin on my wrist seamlessly. Being only £14, I wasn’t going to be too hurt if it wasn’t a great foundation or was the wrong shade.
My first time using the foundation, I did my normal skin prep; moisturiser, eye cream, primer, colour correcting and rose water. I like to use rose water or Fix + just before applying my foundation as I usually find that foundation sticks to dry areas on my skin, especially after using the colour corrector.
The design of the product is a small bottle with a pipette to “drop” the foundation, I really like this design as it’s easily distributed and doesn’t have the touch the skin and build up bacteria, and you’re also not pouring it and wasting product.
What I did find with the foundation is that it is very watery. In some reviews I watched, they applied the foundation straight to the face and it would run a lot, which it also did for me. I also felt that when I did this and then blended it out, for some reason, there wasn’t as much coverage. I then switched it up and put the foundation on the back of my hand and applied it to my face in different spots. This blended a lot easier and the coverage was much better.
I blended the product out with a wet beauty blender all over my face and down my neck. The product being so watery, really did contribute to it blending out so well. It wasn’t too sticky or thick to blend out, it went really smoothly over the skin. The foundation is also quite thin and the coverage can be built up a lot – this meaning that when you do build it up for more coverage, it doesn’t become too thick.
When the foundation had all been blended out, I concealed under my eyes and briefly over blemishes and scars, then powdered and did the rest of my makeup routine.






In these photos of me wearing the foundation, you can see that some scars are still noticeable under the foundation (around the cheek area, these scars are very dark). You can also see that it looks quite dewy in the third photo. This is partially due to that being the look I was going for and applying more highlight than usual, and due to the foundation being semi matte and so not fully being matte coverage.
The foundation in terms of how it was throughout the day was good. The longest I’ve worn it was throughout a 6 hour night shift at work and then going out into town after (roughly 9-10 hours)  – that’s when you know a foundation is good! For the most part, the foundation lasted, especially considering I was getting hot and would sweat at work and in the club – also, baring in mind, my skin is extremely oily. The oiliness was definitely evident as my skin was noticeably shiny many times throughout the night. My smile lines were also coming out and would cause the foundation to separate around those areas. However, I feel like this is inevitable as my skin was oily and I’d been sweaty and it wasn’t as well set throughout the night. Having said that, with my higher end foundation, this doesn’t happen as quickly as it did with this foundation. If I were to keep the foundation as it was when I’d just finished my makeup, I’d definitely have to keep powdering every hour or so (but keep in mind my skin is verrrry oily).
Overall, my ratings of this foundation are:
Coverage: light – medium, very buildable.
Product design: Very convenient, easy to use, but it’s glass to be careful.
Formula: Fragrance free, light weight but very runny
Finish: Semi matte – you can adjust it to be dewy or matte, not very long lasting (can be worn for a long time but does wear off).
Application: Best done with beauty blender onto wet skin, dotted onto skin and blended out
Another huge pro to the foundation is that they have such a variety of shades to choose from, you’ll more than likely find a shade to match your skin!
For now, I can definitely say that this is my favourite drug store foundation and I will repurchase it once I have ran out of this bottle. However, I do still want to keep searching for good drug store foundations for oily/combination skin – if you recommend any, leave a comment below or tweet me - @PTXVI.
Thank you for reading!
Phoebe
X

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Follow