Delicious, Dreamy, Dairy - Free Hot Chocolate

Monday, December 07, 2015



As of, mid 2014, I’ve not been drinking or eating dairy due to being (mildly) lactose intolerant. I say mildly because I can eat limited amounts of things such as butter, cheese and chocolate but anything like yogurt, ice cream or milk is a HUGE no and will make me really ill. Not being able to have dairy was a bummer as I have a major sweet tooth and loved ice cream and milk etc. I also REALLY loved having creamy hot chocolate made with milk and not hot water (ew lol).
At first I was really hesitant on trying any dairy alternatives and didn’t have cereal or anything like that for months. I still don’t straight up drink almond milk but it is really nice and that is what I use as my dairy alternative.
 Obviously you don’t have to be lactose intolerant to have almond milk, so this recipe is aimed at anybody who either can’t have dairy or simply wants to switch it up a little! Read on to find out my dairy free – almond milk hot chocolate.

Ingredients:

Almond Milk
Cocoa powder
(Any cocoa powder works, I prefer Cadbury drinking chocolate rather than instant hot chocolate as that contains milk powder)
Mini marshmallows

What you’ll need:

A small sauce pan
Whisk
Teaspoon
A mug




Step 1: You can decide how much almond milk to use, there’s no specific measurements for this recipe. Simply pour the almond milk into the mug of your choice and that will be how much hot chocolate you will have in the end.

Step 2: Pour the milk out of the mug and into the sauce pan, turn the heat onto around low/medium. You don’t want to burn the milk; this heat will mean it isn’t getting hot too quick or burn.
Step 3: After around 3-4 minutes, the milk should be warm, not boiling hot but warm. When the milk is warm, add 3-4 tablespoons of drinking chocolate and whisk until everything is mixed together.

Step 4: Another 2-3 minutes later and your hot chocolate should be ready! You want to make sure that the milk and drinking chocolate have time to heat together after they’ve been whisked together, due to the fact you added the drinking chocolate when the milk was only warm. Your hot chocolate could be finished depending on the temperature you prefer it to be. Following these steps will mean your hot chocolate will be hot and not just warm!
Step 5: After pouring your hot chocolate into your mug, add as many marshmallows as your heart desires. (From the photos, you can see my heart desired A LOT of mini marshmallows).

And that is how you make a delicious, dreamy, dairy free hot chocolate! If you do happen to try out this recipe, tweet me or comment down below how it turned out!! Also, feel free to let me know of any blog posts you’d like to see in the future!

Thanks again for reading!
Phoebe
X

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Follow