Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation Review

Tuesday, October 18, 2016



A couple months ago I came to the realisation that it was finally time to find a new foundation after years of using the same one. Maybelline Fit me Foundation had honestly been my holy grail, it was lightweight, my exact skin tone and it was completely affordable. The only downside was that they stopped selling my shade (210) in shops and I had to order it online, from some website I’d never heard of before because I couldn’t find my shade anywhere else. I thought to myself, I might as well find a new foundation just in case they discontinue Maybelline fit me in my shade.
Now, I’m someone who hates the trial and error factor of trying new makeup. The thought of spending money on a product to never even use it hurts my heart a little. Although, that is what it takes when buying new makeup and it isn’t really that big a deal, I’m just over dramatic but you can see where I’m coming from?!
I ended up watching God knows how many YouTube videos of mixed race, medium skin tone people to find a foundation shade/range that worked well with those skin tones. As well as a foundation that was good for oily, combination skin. Trust me, for months, my YouTube history must’ve been “medium skin tone foundation, medium coverage foundation, lightweight foundation, foundation for oily skin, foundation for combination skin, drugstore foundation”. Don’t get me wrong I LOVE using YouTube to find new products but I felt like one person would say a foundation was good then another would say it’s bad, all with legit reasons.
Until, I was watching the YouTuber Celia Leslie ‘MY FACE ROUTINE’ – she is hands down one of my favourite YouTubers – and it’s not only because we’re the same skin tone so anything she uses I get the most real idea of what it’d be like if I got it. I mean, I’m sat watching her videos right now and the background music, types of videos she does, just everything I LOVE.
Anyways, back to foundation – she used the Estee Lauder Double Wear in her everyday makeup. I was pretty hesitant because of the fact it’s Estee Lauder aka a lot of money but when I saw the finish on her skin I just had to get it. My friend, Jade, also uses this foundation and her makeup always looks poppin.
Having finally made my decision, I went to the Estee Lauder counter and asked them for a tester of the shade that looked most similar to my skin. The lady applied it to most of my face (didn’t use a powder after so I felt extremely weird walking around Nottingham after that) – after looking in the mirrors I thought, damn I look good! But didn’t buy it there and then – it’s £30, I definitely wasn’t prepared to straight up buy it haha.
Despite this, the second time I used it I was horrified – ok, that’s a little overdramatic but if you saw how orange I looked you would’ve thought I was a Dorito. It was ridiculous. After that ordeal, I decided to go back and ask them to test me for a colour. Now I don’t know whether it’s me or does anybody else hate having makeup applied at makeup counters? Every time I go, they make me look so orange. Actually, the second and different Estee Lauder counter I went to, the women got the right shade which was great. But she did get foundation all over my lips and through my brows which was so frustrating especially because I did ask her to just apply it to my jaw/cheek area only.
It’s safe to say I’m going to stay away from makeup counters for as long as I can…
Anyways, enough of the story time with Phoebe, let’s get onto what I think of the product!
I’ll post some unedited photos below of me wearing this foundation with the rest of my makeup (in other words I’m about to find my best selfies and show you all).







The shade I use of this foundation is 3W1 in Tawny, this has a more brown/yellow undertone rather than orange or pink.
The formula of this product seems in the middle of watery and creamy, it’s neither less or more of the other. It is extremely buildable and a little definitely goes a long way! I love that on days where I don’t want to wear much makeup, I simply but on a little concealer and even it out with the tiniest bit of this foundation. I do use a shade that isn’t my exact skin tone but that’s only because the lady at the counter recommended that if it’s the exact skin tone it will be more difficult to have the best coverage – this is most likely because I have a lot of dark spots on my face! I never knew this and I’m grateful she told me as now I can wear foundation and feel more comfortable as the dark spots are not as visible as before.
The application of the foundation is really good as well. I like to apply it by putting some on the back of my hand and dabbing it on my face with a damp beauty blender. I’ve never faced the problem of it drying up too quickly but this may be because of the damp beauty blender.
There have been a couple times when it’s clung to dry patches on my face and I’ve had to reapply the foundation in that area but this hasn’t actually happened for a while and could’ve been something to do with the concealer, either way it hasn’t been a major problem!
Having said that, I have noticed that it tends to dry darker than it is when it’s first applied. I’m pretty sure this is the case with most foundations but when I first properly realised I thought I was going mad because of how light it looked compared to the other side of my face after I reapplied it haha.
The foundation is oil free which is an absolute dream for me! My skin is insanely oily and I sweat really easily, my last foundation would begin to go patchy at the end of the day because of how oily my skin got. However, this foundation stays on ALL day. My skin may get a little oily and a little shiny, but it’s nothing major. I’ve managed to go 9 hour shifts with this foundation STILL on my face. Even better (or worse) it’s a pain to get all off with just a makeup wipe, I have to use a cleansing brush now to make sure that none of it stays on while I sleep and clogs up my pores.
The only major downside of this foundation is the price. A 30ml bottle is £30. Yes. £30. To some people that might not be much, but for me, a 17-year-old with a part time job, it is a lot for foundation. You definitely get your money’s worth with how much you can build it up and the absolute flawless finish you get from it!
Overall, this foundation is great for somebody with combination or mostly oily skin as it is an oil free foundation and for a flawless finish when you’re done!
If you’ve tried this foundation, let me know what you think of it! Also, if you use a cheaper alternative such as a drug store foundation that is good for combination/oily skin, let me know in the comments or tweet me!
Thanks for reading!
Phoebe
X

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Follow